Getting ready to return home
It is important to start getting ready for the end of your assignment well before time. Below are some of the steps you need to consider when preparing for the end of your in-country assignment.
You will receive a preparing to return home email four to six weeks before the end of your assignment. This will guide your activities as you prepare for the journey home.
Preparing to return home includes:
- Completing an end of assignment evaluation and exit interview
- Obtaining a local police check
- Requesting references from your partner organisation
We offer transition support once you've arrived home.
- Complete a medical assessment.
- Complete a psychological debrief, access is available up to three months after your return.
- Return support includes an online learning module and an invitation to attend a Returned Volunteer Workshop in Melbourne. This is an opportunity to meet and share your experience with other returning volunteers and gain strategies for settling back in.
Join our alumni
All volunteers become a member the program's alumni when they have completed their assignment. The alumni provides opportunities to connect with other volunteers and stay engaged with the Australian Volunteers Program.
Understand what will be expected of you when applying for an in-country volunteering role.
Learn how to approach your application
Discover the next steps and indicative timelines once your application has been submitted
Everything you need to do to prepare for your assignment
Life on assignment will be an adventure, discover what you can expect
Home can seem different after an assignment, we offer support to help you settle back into life in Australia