There will be several time-sensitive activities and compliance checks to complete before you start your assignment, which can take up to 12 weeks and are often reliant upon medical clearance and obtaining visas. Details will be available in your volunteer portal.
- Enter details of your nearest airport into your online portal. This will be used to book flights to the pre-departure briefing and to your assignment.
- Enter your bank account details. This is used to pay allowances and reimburse any eligible expenses.
- Ensure that all personal information is correct, especially if you have volunteered before.
Obtain medical clearance
Obtain your medical clearance as soon as possible as these are often required to submit your visa application.
- Requirements and time frames to complete this stage will depend on your individual circumstances.
- Your mobilisation coordinator will guide you through the steps required.
Obtain entry visa
Take time to learn about specific visa requirements before submitting your visa application with the required documentation to the appropriate consulate or embassy. Visa processing times will vary depending on the country of application and can change at any time.
Learn more about support available
There are many ways Australian volunteers are supported throughout their volunteer journey. Find out how we support volunteers before, during and after.
Complete pre-departure learning
We are commited to the learning and development of each volunteer. Before departing, the program provides an interactive online learning course and a three-day pre-departure briefing to prepare you for your time in-country. A range of online resources are also available and accessible throughout your assignment.
- The online learning course must be completed within a two-week period prior to attending the pre-departure briefing. Completion of this foundation course is a requirement for participation in the pre-departure briefing, where concepts will be further explored and applied to interactive scenarios.
- A three-day pre-departure briefing is delivered in Melbourne. View dates and learn more.
- Completion of all learning (online courses and briefing) is a mandatory requirement.
Confirmation letter and travel to assignment
- The last step is to download your Assignment Confirmation Letter and accept the assignment online via the volunteer portal.
- The program covers the cost of return flights from Australia for volunteers and approved accompanying dependents. Please note flights cannot be booked until all the above steps have been completed.
Other things to consider at this stage
- Consider the obligations you need to take care of before you leave, such as packing up your house, identifying who will take care of pets, where you will store your belongings, and ensuring your financial obligations can be met while you are away.
- Think about what to pack for the assignment. To read more about baggage policies visit the Volunteer Guidebook.
- Start to plan how you will take care of yourself while on assignment. This includes how you will manage your health, safety, and risk profile.
- Most importantly, please be patient and flexible because this stage can take some time.
Understand what will be expected of you when applying for an in-country volunteering role.
Learn how to approach your application
Discover the next steps and indicative timelines once your application has been submitted
Before you start your assignment
Everything you need to do to prepare for your assignment
Life on assignment will be an adventure, discover what you can expect
Home can seem different after an assignment, we offer support to help you settle back into life in Australia