The program is committed to providing culturally safe, flexible and tailored support to ensure volunteers can make the most of their assignment.
Feeling that your culture, values and history are acknowledged and respected is a crucial part of a culturally safe environment. The program understands the importance of cultural safety, and we are committed to ensuring Indigenous volunteers are well supported throughout their assignments. As part of this commitment, we ensure that our program staff have increased levels of understanding and appreciation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and culture.
Within the Indigenous Pathways program, we are able to work with you to overcome any barriers you may find in your volunteering journey. We welcome people from all backgrounds, including people living in urban, regional or remote areas, people with a disability and people from the LGBTIQ+ community.
Support can mean a wide variety of things, and we've included a few examples of where we can be of assistance below.
- To learn more about wider support such as allowances, flights, and on-assignment assistance, visit our main support page.
- Our Indigenous Volunteer Support and Advisory Panel is available to support, mentor, and guide you before you apply, while you are on assignment, or after you return home.
- As required, the Indigenous Pathways team can assist you when applying for identification documents, passport, a police check, or other paperwork associated with your assignment.
- We recognise that everybody has different life circumstances and it can be challenging travelling away from home. If this is a concern, contact the team so we can figure out the best way to provide personal support.
- If you are having trouble finding an assignment that suits your skills, the Indigenous Pathways team can assist you. You can have a yarn about your skills and experience, register your interest, and be contacted when new volunteering opportunities become available. Sign up to the Talent Pool, or download the paper-based Expression of Interest Form.
While we try to proactively offer a range of support, there may be something we have missed in the list above. Please do not hesitate to contact the team if you have any specific requirements or questions.