New experiences, friendships and skills
We encourage professional and personal growth in our volunteers, who form networks and friendships in their overseas communities.
Australian volunteers contribute unique experiences and ideas to their volunteer assignments and the communities where they live and work. They help develop skills and expertise within their partner organisation so partners are better equipped to achieve their own development goals.
At the same time, volunteers form meaningful and long-lasting friendships. They gain a deeper understanding of how to work across cultures, and have opportunities develop new skills and gain unique experience while on assignment.
Diverse range of skills and experience
A broad range of skills are needed to contribute to sustainable development in the Indo-Pacific region. Volunteers can work in a range of sectors, including:
- Business services
- Community and social development
- Engineering and architecture
- Skilled trades
- Education and training
- Media and arts
How we support volunteers
The Australian Volunteers Program supports volunteers with:
- Return airfares and relevant visas
- Comprehensive insurance, medical assessments and vaccinations
- Pre-departure briefings, in-country orientation and language training
- Security information and access to 24-hour emergency support
- Living and accommodation allowances
- Financial support for partners and children (on longer assignments)
- Debriefing and financial support on return to Australia